Monday, June 21, 2010

Not what I was hoping for......

So my last two meets didn't go exactly as we had planned... Two weeks ago I competed in the NC State Games at Johnson C. Smith University. It was really my first day ever moving back to my long run. We've been trying to get back to 8 lefts for at least a year now and it's finally time to make it happen. Warmups went amazingly well. I took some of the best jumps I have ever taken, including 2 from 8 lefts on my bigger poles. I was jumping almost a foot higher than I ever have. Unfortunately I had to wait about an hour in the almost 100 degree heat before I started competing, and I ended up no-heighting. I had taken more warmup jumps than I normally do in the process of moving back to 8 lefts, and I was so excited with my jumps in warm ups. I did a very poor job of managing the long rest and let myself get mentally and physically drained. But despite the NH, there were a lot of good things that I could take from the meet.
Last Friday was a different story. I competed in a meet at UNC Charlotte, and while the facilities were better and the heat wasn't quite as stifling, I was not on form physically or mentally. I ended up having two different full warmups on the runway (neither went particularly well), and I didn't take my first competition jump until over three hours after I had initially started warming up. It's tough to manage long rests, much less two of them. I ended up with my second NH in a row. I had come into the meet with very high expectations for myself, which made the NH even tougher to swallow. But I had the opportunity to go back home to Pinehurst, NC for the remainder of the weekend. Spending time with amazing friends and family does wonders for returning some confidence.
Next on the schedule will be a meet in Myrtle Beach, SC so anyone down in the area should come check it out! This will be my last meet before heading to CA for the Club National Championships in a few weeks. Despite what the recent results would indicate, I definitely still feel like I'm making progress in the right direction. I know some big results are just around the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment