Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Getting Started...

So here it goes... I am finally starting a blog. This should be an easy way for everyone to follow my training and competitions as I do my best to follow my dreams.

For those of you that don’t know me, or are just getting to know me, here are some basics. I still feel very new to this world of pole vaulting. I grew up in gymnastics, truly my first love. I competed for 14 years, through my senior year in high school. In college I ran cross country and raced bikes in sadly misguided attempts at becoming an endurance athlete... But I’m eternally grateful to my cross country coach for finally convincing me to try vaulting my junior year. Given the laid back atmosphere of Division III athletics, my first few years of vaulting were pretty relaxed. I had some amazing help from many coaches, but it was mostly just playing around and having fun. It wasn’t until I met my current coach 2 years ago that I realized I may have a future in the sport. So I really only have 2 seasons of serious training under my belt and I know I have so much more progress to make.

So as of about 22 months ago, I have centered everything in my life around my training. It hasn’t been an easy process. Because I coached myself a lot of the time I had developed too many bad habits to count. My coach was faced with the unenviable task of reinventing my technique from the ground up. We’ve changed everything from my run, plant, and takeoff all the way to my swing and turn (which, to be honest, didn't really exist a few years ago). It has been monotonous and trying at times, and good results are often few and far between. But things finally seem like they’re starting to come together.

The last month and a half has been quite the whirlwind. Six weeks ago I was a happy homeowner, working 2 jobs, finishing grad school, and driving 1.5 hrs to practice a couple times a week, doing the rest of my training on my own. It wasn't exactly the easiest set up. But since then I’ve sold my house, graduated with my masters, finished all my jobs, and moved out of state so all I have to focus on is vaulting. It’s a huge step, and a decision I didn’t take lightly. But I really do have an awesome situation here. I’m lucky enough to have a committed coach, good places to vault, run, and lift, and at least for now nothing else to distract me from my training. I also have some amazing support behind me in my friends and family. I wouldn’t be able to follow my dreams if it wasn’t for your help, I can’t thank you enough!

In the immediate future, I have 2 meets coming up in Charlotte, NC at Johnson C. Smith University. The first will be Sunday, June 13 and the second is Saturday June 19. They are small meets, but they will a good place for me to test out all my recent progress in practice. I will be sure to update results, and anyone that is in the area should definitely stop by. The more support the better.

That’s all for now! Be sure to check back soon.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the updates Steph - even though I will be getting them anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! And, I will tell you - from one Blogger to another - write, write, write! Even if you think no one is reading - someone is. I try at the least to do a weekly update -otherwise, I'd probably forget...

    Looking forward to more news!

    ReplyDelete